Friday, March 06, 2009

Top 5 Funniest Comic Strips

For various reasons this week I was brought up close and personal with two of my favorite comic strips of all time, and I found myself wondering which of the two was genuinely funnier. So, in this first Friday Top Five, I’m going to list the Top Five Funniest Comic Strips in descending order.

5. Cul de Sac – If you’re unfamiliar, it follows the antics of a little girl named Alice Otterloop through her life at home and at school. It’s hilarious stuff. Several genuine laugh-out-loud moments.


4. Get Fuzzy – Satchel and Bucky are awesome. If you’ve ever had a cat and a dog you can appreciate how goofy these two characters are. Sort of a similar team as Stewie and Brian from “Family Guy,” except for the comic is actually, consistently funny.


3. Pearls Before Swine – I’m relatively new to this one, but it’s always just outrageous enough to get me shaking my head and chortling out, “What the hell?” The main characters are Rat, Pig, Zebra, and Goat, but Rat’s the best. He’s sort of the guy you love to hate. One of those characters you just can’t get enough of. Kinda like House.


2. The Far Side – I once heard you had to be a genius to laugh at every single Far Side comic ever made. I don’t know about that, but I do know it’s some of the smartest humor I’ve ever enjoyed. Fantastic stuff.


1. Calvin & Hobbes – Here’s my argument for why this is a better strip than “Far Side”: Individually, Gary Larsen’s comics are better, but when it comes to an ongoing story Bill Wattersen just the upper hand. The inside jokes that build over the course of the strip just make everything that much funnier, and nothing is more hilarious to me than when Calvin builds deranged snow-people. Just the best. I love it…


That’s it. That’s my Top Five Funniest Comic Strips in descending order. What have I left out? Are there any LOL strips I left out?

No comments: