Monday, November 24, 2008

Daily Did-You-Know 11/24/2008

I've got an Official Blog Entry just about ready to roll. It'll be up tomorrow, even though I know I promised one for today. My bad, ya'll. It's coming though, I promise!

Now for the Daily Did-You-Know...

The top five most expensive paintings ever sold are:


"Rideau, Cruchon et Compotier" by Paul Cezanne, sold for $55 million in 1999.

"Portrait de l'artiste sans barbe" by Vincent Van Gogh, sold for $65 million in 1998.




"Au Moulin de la Galette" by Pierre de la Galette, sold for $71 million in 1990 and then re-sold in 2002 for $76.7 million.




"Portrait of Dr. Gachet" by Vincent Van Gogh, sold for $82.5 million in 1990.


"Garcon a la Pipe" by Pablo Picasso, sold for whopping $104 million in 2004.

A parting note on this topic: According to Wikipedia, a Jackson Pollack painting was sold in 2006 (after the publication of the book I pulled today's Did-You-Know from) for a record $140 million. It's an expressionist piece, and you absolutely will not believe that anybody paid $140 for it, let alone $140 million. Curious? Click HERE to see it.

No comments: