Tuesday, April 12, 2005

The Under-Developed Brain of Jermaine

The things he said just made me so... ANGRY!!!

First, let me catch you up to speed: In the NBA's most recent ten years, there has been an influx of players opting to skip college and go directly to the big league. The commissioner of the NBA, David Stern, wants to put an age limit of 20 on players' eligibility to be drafted by a professional team. Like all debates, there are two convincing sides, and to be honest, I've gotta side with The Commish if only for the reason that it would put some more star power into college hoops, but a lot of people believe that if the players can play on that grander stage, let 'em do it!

A lot of these players are household names (Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Garnett, etc...), so it's going to be hard to justify any kind of change, but Indiana Pacers star forward Jermaine O'Neal (also a college-skipper), naturally feels very strongly against an age limit. He's entitled to this opinion, however he came off sounding like a complete idiot, which is an ailment cured by most college educations. Hmm. Fancy that.

Here's a direct quote: "There were seven high school players in the All-Star Game, so why we even talking an age limit?" Let me point out one particular part of this sentence: "Why we even talking an age limit." Well, I've got an "are" and an "about" that I'd just LOVE to stick into that phrase, but who am I to take artistic liberties? How difficult is it to take this man seriously when he can't even speak correctly? Am I supposed to go, "Ah, yes! The uneducated man with cornrows has a point!" The saddest thing about this whole article is that O'Neal is claiming that an age limit is racist! At first I thought that was a typo, because I'm well aware that we live in agist society in which a person's number of years on this earth very much affects the respect he or she gets. But how in the foggy blue hell is an age limit racism???

Let's give O'Neal the podium to answer this question (again, this is a direct quote): "As a black guy, you kind of think [race is] the reason why it's coming up."

Touche, Jermaine. Touche.

he doesn't even provide a reason for this claim! Go on, check it out yourself! Regardless of how I feel about the issue of raising the age limit for potential NBA players, I'd like the person arguing against me to make intelligent points. I'm almost mad at espn.com for running such an asinine story. So in protest of such idiocy, here's my intelligent point, my "rebuttal," if you will: Mr. O'Neal, go to college, learn how to provide arguments that support your purpose and take some speech and grammar classes. Then, once you've graduated, come back and argue with me. In the meantime, go make 100 million dollars and quit your griping.

Moron.

PS--Go Bulls! :)

No comments: